Friday, June 24, 2011

Retirement

After 22 years of faithfully serving our nation in the United States Army, my brother  Larry M. DePriest, retired!  He joined the army fresh out of high school (he got married then went to basic right after he graduated). In April, he hung up his army boots & is fully retired. 

Our family went to Washington, D.C.  for a week to be with him and to attend his retirement ceremony.  It was so much fun.  We got to see all kinds of things in our nation's capital as well as attend his retirement functions.  We were honored to be a part of this.

I think the most special part for me is that our Dad was able to be there.  My father is also retired from the Army.  When my dad began this cancer battle we weren't sure if he would be able to make it.  So having him there was so special.  He is so proud of my brother and getting to stand and salute him at his ceremony was special for us all.  I think God allowed my dad's cancer to be in remission just so that he could be well enough to travel to D.C. for the week and to watch my brother get such honor. 

A tear jerker for us all came at my brother's unit luncheon.  His unit gave my brother several awards and gifts.  They gave him some medal (I know I should know it...sorry Mark) and after my brother's commander pinned it on him, my brother then took it and gave it to my dad.  We were all boo-hooing.  It was just a tender time for us.  Being from a military family, it's hard to convey how special it was to be there.  But it is one memory I will carry for me forever.

I am so proud of my brother.  He was in Iraq for both wars there (Persian Gulf & Iraqi Freedom) and he has faithfully served our nation.  I am proud of his wife for enduring such hardship that only military wives face.  Their marriage is good and they love one another.  That doesn't happen in every military family.  And I am proud of his kids.  They had to be away from their dad alot.  The sacrifice has not gone unnoticed.

I love you Mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment