Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Profound Revelation

Wow. I was folding laundry and God spoke to me. Why am I always surprised when he speaks to me when I'm doing what he's called me to do....take care of my family?

Anyway, lately I realized I've taken on a responsibility that was never intended for me.  I see a need in someone's life and suddenly I feel it's MY responsibility to meet that need.  For example, I have some great friendships and I am soo thankful for the richness I have been given.  But my abundance has revealed a lack in others lives which has resulted in me feeling guilty for my friends. (Dumb, I know). My false sense of responsibility has maybe even escalated the need I see in others making it a bigger need in my mind than it actually is for those I'm sympathizing for.  And the struggle digresses.

So back to laundry.  I was sitting on my living room floor, folding clothes & my mind wanders to this friendship dilemma I've created for myself. And God speaks.  He simply says to me,

"I haven't called you to find them friends, but simply to be a friend."

I am shaken. Such simple words, but they brought such freedom.  I don't have to find them friends.  I am free.  I can do what I'm good at....be a friend. I can do that.  I can't fix the world's problems. I can't neglect what I've been given out of fear of hurting or offending or even making someone else jealous unintentioanally.  I just need to simply be a friend.

Whew!  I breath deeply.  I can succeed.  I can have my friends and take care of those who are hurting. But in a much easier way.  I just have to be a friend and trust Jesus to meet ALL of our needs.  I wonder when I will grow up and get beyond the second grader inside of me.  Thankfully, my Dad is so patient.  He speaks tenderly to me in times of non-conflict to help me navigate the world of adult friendships.  He really is a great parent.  Help me to be a better child!

Thank you Lord for sweet words spoken over laundry!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Connie! Sometime I wear a Girl Scout Badge of all the things I self impose for myself.

    ReplyDelete